Charlotte County, FL - Fawcett Memorial Hospital is offering free stroke-risk education courses through May at Charlotte State Bank & Trust. These one-on-one consultations will take place at bank offices from 2:00pm to 4:00pm on selected Wednesdays according the following schedule:
- March 8 - Murdock, 1100 Tamiami Trail, Port Charlotte
- March 22 - Peachland, 24163 Peachland Blvd., Port Charlotte
- April 5 - Parkside, 3002 Tamiami Trail, Port Charlotte
- April 19 - Charlotte Harbor, 23112 Harborview Road, Charlotte Harbor
- May 3 - Punta Gorda, 2331 Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda
- May 17 - North Port, 4300 Aidan Lane, North Port
While the assessments are free, reservations are required and may be made by calling Consult-A-Nurse (941) 624-4441.
Residents are invited to sign up and attend the free course at their closest bank office. One of Fawcett's stroke-specialized nurses will meet attendees in private, one-on-one sessions to discuss risk factors and how to reduce them.
"Research shows that 85 percent of strokes occur with no apparent warning signs and that nearly 80 percent of all strokes are preventable through managing risk factors," said Alexandria Davis, marketing director at Fawcett. "Since there are no tests that can detect a stroke before it happens, understanding and controlling risk is vitally important."